As many artists in the 19th century, Georg Jahn (1869-1940) started his formal training as an artist with an apprenticeship. In his case this was as a porcelain painter at the royal porcelain factory in Meißen when he was just 14 years old and it lasted to 1888. Clearly showing promise, he was awarded a scholarship to the art academy in Dresden by the manufactory. Jahn studied at the art academy with Leon Pohle from 1888 to 1890. In 1890 he moved on to study at the Großherzoglichen Sächsischen Kunstschule in Weimar with Max Thedy. After completing his military service, he launched his independent career as an illustrator and portraitist in Berlin (1894-95), then in Leipzig and Munich (1895-96). By 1897 Georg Jahn had returned to Dresden for good. He joined a newly formed artists' association, the Verein Bildender Künstler Dresden (Secession). His close friend Max Pietschmann introduced him to etching around that time. The technique would soon become all-consuming to Jahn, who is today almost exclusively remembered for his etchings. He is thought to have left over 300 compositions, which are executed with great detail. His fine line renders modulations of light in grayscales few etchers of his time were ever able to attain. Portraits dominate his oeuvre, as do nudes, scenes of everyday life in small towns and along seashores.